With summer quickly approaching now is the time to stock up on summer staples! At least it is for me since I don’t really own a lot of summer clothing. I used to be a bit of a hermit and there was no need for shorts or tank tops when I sat inside with AC all day. But times change and since I plan to spend some time in the summer sun I will need the appropriate clothing. I was originally planning to buy my summer wardrobe but Pinterest showed me another option. I could make some of my summer necessities. It is also a great way to reuse old T-shirts.
Here is the link to the original project: http://somedreamingtree.blogspot.com/2012/07/summer-tank-diy.html
Materials needed for this project are:
A old T-shirt (an old oversized one is best)
I started this project by laying out one of my old T-shirts. I have learned from previous T-shirt project that giving the shirt a quick glance over really helps with measurements and cutting.
I then cut off the shirts collar and arms by following its natural seams.
After the collar and sleeve were cut off I flipped the shirt over to cut the back. The instructions said to cut up the shirts side seam right to where it reaches your hips. I had no idea where that was so I had to pop the shirt on real quick and make a mark. Once that was done I cut up the sides of the shirt and cut across it right were the mark was. I got this.
The next step was cutting the longer part of the shirt into a triangle. I flipped it over and cut down the side of each shirt at an angle. Apparently it should form a perfect triangle but mine came out like this.
I’m not quite sure how the original author got hers to be perfect triangles but I guess its not that big of a deal. The last thing I had to do was cut down the middle of the long part right up to the back of the shirt.
It comes out pretty good! I would like to know how people get their shirts to cut so clean but I guess a few rough edges don’t matter. Plus free tank top! I have seen the same thing in store for 20 dollar. I will take a few rough edges for that.
This project passes the DIY test with flying colors.